Monday, July 27, 2015

Shooting Hoops


This spring, after an absence of about 25 years, I got back in the habit of shooting hoops on an almost daily basis, outside, at local courts.

I love to shoot hoops (basketball). It's not exactly a "Love & Basketball" type of situation, but some days it comes close.

The photo above is from a hoop that's set up in back of a school. It faces about 20 acres of open prairie, which, in turn, feeds into the Bow in the Clouds nature preserve.

So, here are five reasons why I love to shoot hoops:
1. It's fun and you get a workout (especially upper arms, triceps) without realizing it
2. The only equipment you need is a basketball
3. You can shoot whenever, mostly whenever you'd like, especially in the summer months
4. You can track your shooting percentage very easily (how many shots of the past 10 did you make?)
5. You gain the advantage of being outside, in fresh air and sunshine!

An added benefit is that it's a relatively low impact sort of exercise. I'm 63 and I can still shoot from back of the free throw line and make it. When the ball hits the backboard I normally go for the rebound, so that helps add a bit of endurance and leg muscle to the routine.

Shooting hoops teaches me patience and humility (because my shooting percentage hovers around 50%). It also teaches me to persevere - especially in hotter weather! And it's amazingly satisfying to hear the swoosh of a no-net shot!

I'll usually shoot for about 20 minutes and find it's sufficient to keep me in shape and build up arm muscle.

Just as an aside, I'm not advocating that shooting hoops is for everyone. As with any form of exercise, it should be done within reason and with consulting your family doctor, especially if you haven't exercised in a while. A final PS,: When I use the term "hoops" I'm talking about shooting a basketball through a hoop, solo; not actually playing the game of basketball. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!

Pinocchio: Art Credit, Disney If ever there were a time for a national "Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire" award, it's now. And certai...