Thursday, July 30, 2015

Social Justice from Isaiah 58


 
This morning I work up with a stirring in my soul about social justice.
I knew Isaiah had something very specific to say about this. So I went to Isaiah 58 and began reading from the New Living Translation of the Bible.
As the chapter begins, the nation of Israel is complaining and asking God, why haven’t you helped us? “We’ve fasted before you! They say, ‘Why aren’t you impressed?’
And God answers “I will tell you why! It’s because you are fasting to please yourselves. Even when you fast you keep oppressing your workers. What good is fasting when you keep on fighting and quarreling?"
 
Isaiah interjects: Do you really think this will please the Lord?
God  continues: "No, this is the kind of fasting I want: Free those who are wrongly imprisoned; lighten the burden of those who work for you. Let the oppressed go free, and remove the chains that bind people. Share your food with the hungry, and give shelter to the homeless. Give clothes to those who need them and do not hide from relatives who need your help. Then your salvation will come like the dawn and your wounds will quickly heal. Your godliness will lead you forward, and the glory of the Lord will protect you from behind. Then when you call, the Lord will answer, ‘Yes, I am here,’ he will quickly reply. “Remove the heavy yoke of oppression. Stop pointing your finger and spreading vicious rumors! Feed the hungry, and help those in trouble. Then your light will shine out from the darkness…”
Wow!

How often do I fall into the same trap? Opening my mouth instead of opening my heart?
Looking at oppression and judging it is very easy; looking at oppression and actively doing something about it is hard work. Forgive me Lord for being so quick to point the finger. Help me learn to extend a helping hand instead.
photo credit: from xpectamiracle.blogspot.com quote is from Martin Luther King, Jr.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!

Pinocchio: Art Credit, Disney If ever there were a time for a national "Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire" award, it's now. And certai...