Saturday, August 8, 2015

Wisdom: The Book of Proverbs



This morning I'm been thinking about wisdom.

Each morning I begin the day by reading a chapter from Proverbs. Years ago a dear friend told me she did this and the very next day I began to follow her example.

Proverbs is loaded with clear images of what wisdom is and what it looks like. For instance:

"Listen as Wisdom calls out!
Hear as understanding raises her voice!
On the hilltop along the road,
she takes her stand at the crossroads.
By the gates at the entrance to the town,
on the road leading in, she cries aloud,
'I call to you, all of you!
I raise my voice to all people,
You simple people, use good judgment.
You foolish people, show some understanding!
Listen to me! For I have important things
to tell you." (Prov. 8:1-6 NLT)

Wisdom is approachable. So much so that Wisdom stands up on a hill literally yelling out for us to simply pay attention. There doesn't seem to be any hidden secrets to obtaining wisdom.

Or how about this?

"And so, my children, listen to me,
for all who follow my ways are joyful.
Listen to my instruction and be wise.
Don't ignore it.
Joyful are those who listen to me,
watching for me daily at my gates,
waiting for me outside my home!
For whoever finds me finds life,
and receives favor from the Lord.." (Prov. 8:32-35 NLT)

The image of wisdom being feminine is interesting - implying a nurturing, encouraging, generous spirit behind the invitation to spend time getting wisdom. And the fruit of obtaining wisdom is a joyous life.

And here's a final thought from Proverbs.

"Fear (as in respect, awe, reverence) of the Lord is the foundation of wisdom.
Knowledge of the Holy One results in good judgment." (Pro. 9:1-10 NLT)

Proverbs not only gives an amazing variety of images of Wisdom, it also points to its source.

Oh, how I love the book of Proverbs! It is so life affirming with a rich aroma that mixes the poetic and the practical.

Today if you are struggling with confusion or doubt, Proverbs beacons you!

photo credit: pixabay.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!

Pinocchio: Art Credit, Disney If ever there were a time for a national "Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire" award, it's now. And certai...