Wednesday, November 18, 2015

My church doesn't need me



A good friend on Twitter recently re-tweeted a post by Stephen Jones titled Why I Stopped Going to Church.

It's a great, thought-provoking read, And it motivated me to examine why I continue to go to church, the same church, after 29 years. What follows are reasons that readily come to mind.

1. I don't know everything there is to know about God.

Not even close. The teaching I receive each week is usually solid and causes me to think about things I would ordinarily put on the back burner. I am not a spiritually sophisticated person, and need others to keep pointing the way to a deeper relationship with God.

2. I need fellowship. 

By nature, I'm an introvert, not naturally gravitating towards groups or community. My home church offers a perfect opportunity to get together with some pretty amazing folks. There is even a built in break between the two services, called Intersection, where fellowship is encouraged.

3. It's good to worship God together. 

The apostle Paul encouraged us not to neglect the "assembling of the saints." Being part of a group of people who are gathered, focused on God, singing out to God, is powerful stuff. Oftentimes the worship leader will pause in-between songs and encourage us to focus on a particular aspect of God. It's like having spiritual laser surgery that cuts away the dross from my soul.

4. God speaks to me at church.

Through the teaching, the worship, the encouragement from the worship leader, even during the Intersection (fellowship time) God speaks. And it isn't always in the same way. Sometimes it's a two minute conversation with a friend that turns the day around. Sometimes it's a worship song that hits my thirsty soul. Sometimes it's a sentence within the teaching that grabs me and motivates me to go deeper in relationship with God. Which leads us to the final point.

5. My church doesn't need me.

The fact is, my home church would get along just fine without me. But I would not be the same person without them! 29 years worth of teaching, fellowship and friendship has brought me closer to God. My walk with God would not be as consistent or deep without the members in my home church walking along with me.

Yes, I'm part of a couple of ministry teams (teaching Kids' Church and the Prayer Team). So technically I give back to my church. But on any Sunday, I get much more out of being with the kids, and praying for others, than I give. 

That's the way God works, isn't it?

We seek God and we find out that God meets us in service to others. It is in community that aspects of God are revealed that allow us to go deeper in relationship that add up to stronger "alone" times with God.

What do you think? I'm curious!!!

Photo Credit: www.time.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!

Pinocchio: Art Credit, Disney If ever there were a time for a national "Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire" award, it's now. And certai...