Saturday, November 21, 2015

You can't shame others into caring.



Like many people, I've been following the refugee crisis. And the attacks in Paris.

Of all the things I've read this post by Seth Haines really spoke volumes to me.

I also came across a magnificent tweet sent out encouraging us not to shame others because they don't happen to support a particular social justice cause. That was powerful as well.

At some point yesterday I became frustrated when I found out that my own government (the House of Representatives) had passed a resolution to "slow down" the immigration process on the Syrian refugees that President Obama has pledged to welcome.

I was so upset that when I found an article that supported my position, I immediately posted it on Facebook - without really taking a good look at the headline, which congratulated the French on their courage to commit to bringing in 30,000 Syrian refugees; but also took a shot at the Republican (U.S.) party.

Last night I felt ashamed that I had allowed myself to play the political card. I had allowed my zeal for helping others to cross the line into trying to shame those who didn't happen to share my point of view.

This morning on Facebook, I posted an apology.

At it's core, the Syrian refugee crisis, like every refugee crisis, is a humanitarian issue. Residents of a country leave their homes in hope of welcome elsewhere. They have left because it isn't safe to stay. 

Once they have crossed over the border, the politics that sent them running turns into an opportunity to help the homeless and downtrodden, the widow, orphan and entire families that no longer have the basics of human existence.

After arriving at this conclusion, I had to dig a bit deeper and realize that not everyone is going to take on the refugee crisis as a social justice issue. The fact that there are over 60,000,000 individuals who are now refugees, and half of them are children doesn't always elicit a sympathetic response.

I am beginning to understand that.

So, rather than spend my time focusing on the politics of it, or trying to shame others into agreeing with my point of view, I am going to see the refugee situation as an opportunity to extend grace to people who no longer have a home.

According to the Bible, grace is unmerited favor. It's love and mercy extended that isn't earned. It's unconditional.  And the current refugee crisis presents a wonderful opportunity to show others God's grace in a powerful way. 

That is the message I choose to share.

Photo Credit: www.abc11.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!

Pinocchio: Art Credit, Disney If ever there were a time for a national "Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire" award, it's now. And certai...