Monday, April 18, 2016

The Practice of Being Thankful



Earlier this morning I had some lab work done as part of a follow-up.

The lab technician asked me if I had anything planned for the day. In response I told her, "no, I'm retired."

She asked me how retirement was going. I said, "Fine, if you don't mind living on half of the income you had while you were working."

Afterwards, I wondered why I answered the lab tech's questions so negatively.

Is this really how I feel?

Once I got home, I sensed God motivating me to think about this.

The fact is, I have plenty to be thankful for.

Like having affordable health insurance. And living about 10 minutes away from the hospital where the lab work was done.

Last winter I painted every room in my home. That's another thing to be thankful for: I have a nice home that's comfy, suits me and is in a diverse neighborhood. I live less than a ten minute walk away from one of the most beautiful public parks in the city.

While I'm not financially rich, I have enough.

I've written a book, 20 Short Ones, that's been published and people are actually reading it.

I go to a great church that's got solid members and the teaching regularly challenges me.

All that is more than enough for starters.

Ann Voskamp has written the definitive book on the subject of being thankful, called One Thousand Gifts.

I've written about her book a few times.

But it's interesting how easily taking things for granted can tarnish the ability to be thankful.

Since this is an election year, I've been writing a lot more politically focused pieces on my blog, and I'm sure that all the negativity surrounding the Presidential campaign has exacted its spiritual toll.

But that doesn't excuse the fact that I haven't been as thankful as I should be.

If we allow life's circumstances to dictate how we feel we'll never be happy enough, or joyful enough, or financially secure enough. We won't be satisfied or content. We'll be forever looking over the fence comparing ourselves to others.

And you know what? That's really not much of a life.

On the other hand, if we choose to look up from what's around us and be thankful it offers a totally different perspective.

Being thankful doesn't deny challenges, but it helps give us the energy to creatively tackle them.

If you need some biblical encouragement to give thanks, here's a a few scriptures:

Give thanks to the Lord, for the Lord is good! And the Lord's mercy endures forever. (1 Chronicles 16.34)

It is good to give thanks to the Lord (Psalm 92.1)

Offer to God thanksgiving, and pay your vows to the Most High (Psalm 50.14)

Actually, the bible is full of verses that speak about thanksgiving and ways to give thanks.

So I'd like to offer a suggestion: Make a conscious effort to give thanks today.

Get alone with God in your quiet/prayer time and speak out the thanks. Let God know what you're thankful for. Be specific.

To help keep in the habit of being thankful, why not do what Ann Voskamp suggests, and begin a journal of thanks, writing down what you're thankful for each day?

It may not seem like a big deal, but believe me, it works. I'm already beginning to feel a whole lot better by getting back in the habit of being thankful. So can you!

Photo Credit: www.theodysseyonline.com









No comments:

Post a Comment

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!

Pinocchio: Art Credit, Disney If ever there were a time for a national "Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire" award, it's now. And certai...